Reply To: E.MAlumni Board Member Campaigns 2017

Forums EMAlumni Forums EMAlumni General Assemblies GA 2019 and prior E.MAlumni Board Member Campaigns 2017 Reply To: E.MAlumni Board Member Campaigns 2017

Jennifer Vallentine
Participant

<span>Dear All!</span>

<span> </span>

<span>My name is Jen Vallentine and I come relatively fresh out of the EMA program of 2015/2016.</span>

<span> </span>

<span>I’ve been reflecting and thinking over the past year since I finished EMA how great an opportunity it was and how much I got out of it, particularly coming from the other side of the world – Australia. Since finishing I keep learning about the amazing people who are part of this Alumni network and this is one of the driving forces behind wanting to be more actively involved adding to the great work that has already been done and helping to develop and grow the networks’ potential further.</span>

<span> </span>

<span>I have a community development and service provision background, working as a social worker and program manager in Australia with communities in crisis, particularly women experiencing domestic abuse, Indigenous Australians and refugee and asylum seeker communities. I am currently based in Vienna, Austria for at least the medium-term and am undertaking a few projects ranging from compiling a practical guideline for the mental health support of asylum seekers and co-running a company producing bedsheets designed by emerging artists (I know a very random, but very interesting, combination!).</span>

<span> </span>

<span>Keeping it short and sweet, some of the things I would bring to the board include:</span>

<span> </span>

• <span>experience in HR, staff management and learning and development. I think this would be particularly useful for the further development of the fabulous Mentor program run by the Alumni;</span>
  • <span>strong program management skills and experience working in remote teams, something which is important when working with a global network;</span>
  • <span>A perspective from someone who is a national of a non-EU state – a perspective that would be useful in reaching out to our Alumni outside of Europe;</span>
  • <span>Experience in community development and engagement, something which I would look to apply particularly in helping support the ambassadors to connect with each other locally and in particular support the younger graduates of the program.</span>

<span> </span>

<span>Lastly, I would just like to put back into something I got a lot out of and really believe in.</span>

<span> </span>

<span>Jen</span>