Candidacy for E.MAlumni Board membership

Forums EMAlumni Forums EMAlumni General Assemblies GA 2019 and prior Candidacy for E.MAlumni Board membership

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Dear fellow Masteroni,

Greetings from across the Atlantic! Although presently, I am geographically farther away from Europe than I wish to be but in spirit feel exceptionally close to my alma mater and its graduates.

During my academic studies in Venice, I was also involved in the creation and execution of the Building Bridges Human Rights Film Festival, formed lasting friendships not only with my fellow colleagues but also some of the EIUC/E.MA administration as well. With my commitment for advocating on behalf of the E.MA alumni I’d like to submit my candidacy for the position of E.MAlumni Board member for 2012-2014.

In my vision the E.MAlumni Board would be acting as a sounding-board and idea-generator as well as to lead initiatives for the benefit of both the graduates (masteroni) and current students (masterini) and aiding the functioning and activities of EIUC including the E.MA Master programme. Here below are a few of my ideas (in no particular order) that I would be interested in working on with other board members in the coming years.

• Fundraising– (developing creative ways and building grassroots support; reaching out to corporate donors as well as researching and applying for available founding/grants i.e.: UNESCO, Open Society Institute for planned special projects and events).
    • Establishing the E.MA Alumni Association Scholarship in the name of all masteroni that hopefully would assist financially some deserving but less fortunate future masterini in enrolling in the E.MA program and successfully completing it. (This would allow the possibility to any E.MA alumni to donate and give back to the E.MA programme; no matter how small his/her contribution might be it would still add up nicely as a sum, which capital could be secured and managed in an EIUC/E.MA endowment funds for assisting more and more masterini over the years).
    • Mentorship– (seeking out prospective E.MA alumni with established professional experience in the human rights field and other potential mentors with no prior associations with E.MA/EIUC; designing and developing a mentorship programme).
    • Develop and launch an E.MA alumni survey to get an assessment and feedback on the desire and need of E.MA alumni – the survey result would allow the EMAlumni Board to develop more strategic framework of communication and advocacy for change as well as developing and implementing new ideas.
    • Plan and organize E.MA alumni events (social regional event and professional conferences and seminars).
    • Establish a sustainable EIUC/E.MA Human Rights Film Award in collaboration with the Human Rights Village at the Venice International Film Festival (This notion was started by a few of us from the organizing committee of the Building Bridges Film Festival of 2010. A proposal has already been put forward for consideration at the E.MA and EIUC board – a project with tremendous prospect and potential that is particularly close to my heart).

A few words about myself: I was born in Hungary, lived and studied both in Europe and North America. I worked in sales, public relations, research and marketing at venture capitalist and private investment firms in Canada prior to my E.MA master’s studies. Currently I sit on the board of One World Arts charitable organisation working on reformulating its organisational policies and ethical guidelines for fundraising; I am also a member of the committee for its Human Rights and Social Justice Film Festival in Canada’s national capital region. I also bring my prior experience in fundraising and managing donor database at the Stephen Lewis Foundation in Toronto, Canada (an NGO raising awareness about HIV/AIDS and running programmes in affected communities in Sub-Saharan Africa). A two-year tenure as a member of the National Consultative Committee of the Rights and Democracy Student Network (Canada), where I designed and led human rights workshops, and planed and organised conferences and seminars.

Thank you for viewing my candidacy for the membership of the E.MAlumni Board and for lending your support.

All the very best,

Krisztina Damjanovich

E.MA masterona 2010/2011 

Iva Tsekova
    Participant

Love all the ideas! I am so impressed by the suggestions of all the candidates and how concrete and full of potential they are. I'll start compiling and keeping tab of all the suggestions put forward. Stay tuned! Iva

Giorgos Kosmopoulos
    Participant

Dear Krisztina,

As much as I like seing you candidating, I can't help noticing that your application was posted with delay, after the 15th June.

I understand that the polls are not open yet but I am having real troubles accepting your candidancy like that. I don't want to be too formalistic here but as president I also have to make sure that cardinal rules of this procedure are respected, hope you get my point.

However, if your fellow candidates uninamously accept your candidancy  AND no one else objects to that procedure I will not object and place your name alongsside the rest in the poll for the board members.

Personally I can't see any other way out of this and it ha to happen very very fast so we don't delay the voting procedure.

Hope you understand

Best

Giorgos

GCA Webmaster
    Participant

Dear Giorgos,

I sustain the candidature of Krisztina and I support her inclusion in the Poll.

Krisztina, I am happy to see your campaigning, I sure you will be a great asset for the Board.

Cristiano

Hi Giorgos, I understand and accept your position.  Thank you so much for offering a potential solution for sustaining my application. Of course, it is entirely up to the collective desision of the board and the current candidates running thier campaign . In respect of the other candidates campaign and complience to the E.MAlumni procedures for board nominations whatever will be the outcome, I will fully respect and comply with it.

Best,

Krisztina

Iva Tsekova
    Participant

Dear Giorgios,

I, too, am delighted to see Kristina's candidacy as I know her as a talented, dedicated and hardworking EMA colleague and trusted friend. I think she will be a great addition to the board and I hope the other candidates will accept her inclusion in our ranks.

Thank you for your consideration,

-Iva

Sofia Antunes
    Participant

Dear Giorgios,

I would also like to support  the candidacy of Kristina.

kristina, I could see your talent as a human rights activist as well as your commitment during our E.MA 2010/2011, I would be happy to see you in the board.

Best,

Sofia

Monika Alpoegger
    Participant

I am happy to see Krisztina's candidacy full of good ideas which I of course accept.

Monika

Dear Monika, Sofia, Iva and Cristiano, thank you so much for your support in favour of me campaigning alongside you. I wish all of you the best, and sincerely hope that we end up working all together for many great causes. Krisztina

Giorgos Kosmopoulos
    Participant

Dear all,

We can't wait longer as the polls must open asap and we need to send the names to the IT guy.

Unfortunately not everyone has reposnded accepting the candidacy. Moroever, I heard of people (not many) who didn't candidate thinking they missed the deadline.

We discussed the issue in the E.MAlumni board and we 've decided that taken into account everything , we can't accept the candidancy and we should go ahead to open the polls immediately.

I say this with great pain but we need to stick to the rules here. In any case, there are so many ways one can help the association and the forthcoming board can think of many ways to make use of the ideas and passion of Krisztina.

Krisztina I hope you understand.

Cheers

Giorgos

Iva Tsekova
    Participant

Dear Giorgos,

I just read your update and I wanted to say I understand where you are coming from. As a (still) acting president of the association, you are setting an example by following the rules of the association.

However, I urge you to embrace flexibility and to reconsider the candidacies of the other folks who didn't manage to submit in time at the risk of bending the rules. What I learned in EMA is that judgment is sometimes more important than norms set in stone. And what I learned in the private sector (perhaps somewhat controversially) is that in order to succeed one has to build the best and most capable team rather than seek out the consensus of the majority. The reality is that we have fewer candidates than board places and that ~30% of this year's board candidates (3 out of 9) are in fact "old faces". While their contributions and dedication to the association have been recognized, I believe it is important to give space to new, fresh additions. For example, while it is true that Krisztina did submit a late candidacy, she put forward a list of concrete and valuable ideas, plus a track record of an active, can-do attitude, as attested by the people who knew her in her class year. Perhaps we can encourage a few more applications by similar almost-candidates who contacted you and have a run-off among the "late submissions"?

Best regards and good luck to everyone,

-Iva

Sofia Antunes
    Participant

Dear Giorgios, Dear all,

I think that you gave us the opportunity to contest/agree / disagree with Kristina candidacy, in a participative and very transparent way, what I really appreciate. Thank you for this democratic decision.

I have not seen any of us disagreeing with her candidacy, and actually three of us have largely supported her candidacy. Furthermore as Iva said we have fewer candidates than board places, so I cannot see why Kristina can't run as a board member to these elections, once that she had presented such a good program.

I hope that all of you can rethink your decision.

My best regards,

Sofia

GCA Webmaster
    Participant

Dear Giorgos, Dear Board members,

We did not have the “manifested” unanimity in supporting Krisztina’s candidacy (among current candidates) but we did not see any opposition either and it must be considered that some candidates may not have visited the forum meanwhile. As a supporter of transparency I think everybody against Krisztina's candidacy should bear the responsibility of opposing it ether publicly or, at least, in the anonymity with you. If no opposition arise I think the considerations made by Iva and Sofia are fully valid and we should accept the candidacy of Krisztina.

If there is an issue of fairness with regards to other late candidates (those you have heard about) my suggestion would be to leave the candidacy open until 25 June (and vote 25 June-30 June – or 1-15 July) and make a (separate?) poll just among them for the available seats (but I am not against having all of us in the same poll).

I think the Association should try to accept this “state of exception” because the situation in which the whole election is running is showing its own limits, for exemple with reference to the number of candidates.

Cristiano

Lynn Schweisfurth
    Participant

Dear all,

my apologies for not keeping up with events. If it makes any difference at this late stage, I too would like to support Krisztina's candidacy. I am sure she would be a strong contributor to the association.

Best wishes

Lynn

Giorgos Kosmopoulos
    Participant

Dear all,

I understand your dissapointment and appreciate your motives but as I mentioned already, the E.MAlumni board, after considering everything, took a decision, democratically, not to allow this candidacy.

The technical aspects of the voting are being sorted out after this brief delay and the voting will commence soon.

Hope you understand our position and, again, I am sure the ideas and the enthusiasm of Krisztina  will be used properly by the next board.

Best

Giorgos

Dear Giorgos and Board members,

As I stated earlier, I will fully comply with the outcome decision of the board and fellow candidates. As it is now, I have no other choice than to abide by the ‘rules’.

Dear Lynn, thanks so much for expressing your support. It meant a lot for me even if at the end it did not make a difference in the result.

Dear fellow candidates, thank you so much for your overwhelming support and all your compelling arguments sustaining my candidacy for board member. Although in the next two years I will not have decision making power, in my capacity as an E.MA alumni, I can still lobby for ideas, suggest proposals and offer creative new ways for initiating projects, let alone, support the work of the new board members by other method.

In the past, many times I have had been sidelines which never halted my determination, enthusiasm or creativity, if anything it had inspired me to spark even more creative ideas. I wait in anticipation the formation of the new EMAlumni board.

Wishing you all the best!

Krisztina 

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.