Protests in Venezuela – statements issued by international organisations

Forums GCA Forums Discussions Protests in Venezuela – statements issued by international organisations

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Alba Marcellan
    Participant

For those following the evolution of the protests in Venezuela, please find the link to the last Alert published by ICG, http://www.crisisgroup.org/en/publication-type/alerts/2014/venezuela-respect-for-human-rights-and-dialogue-must-replace-violence.aspx

Other previous reports/press releases include:

-HRW, Venezuela: Violence against Protesters, Journalists, http://www.hrw.org/news/2014/02/21/venezuela-violence-against-protesters-journalists

-Statement by the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights (available in Spanish)http://www.eluniversal.com/nacional-y-politica/140215/onu-pide-juicio-para-los-responsables-de-agresiones 

-Press Statement by the EEAS: http://eeas.europa.eu/delegations/venezuela/press_corner/all_news/news/2014/20140214_es.htm

Cristiano Gianolla
    Participant

Alba,

I guess it's not easy in Caracas these days. To you and others Masteroni and Masterone there a strong encouragement with the hope hat the situation will improve quickly.

Cristiano

Alba Marcellan
    Participant

Thanks Cristiano!!

Elizabeth Forasacco
    Participant

Alba!! Thank you so much for sharing! <3 and Cristiano thank you so much for your support.

Yesterday for the first time in 15 years the opposition had the opportunity to dialogue with the government in national tv broadcasting, even though the skepticism is really strong, at least for me it was important that for the first time opposition leaders had the opportunity to address to the entire population. I don't know if this will enhance the situation but at least it is a bit of will between the parts to use the few democratic spaces available as to avoid a social eruption.

The skepticism is due to the fact that we had in 2007 another dialogue table supported by the Carter Center and it didn't work. But this time, the social situation + a change in the mediators (UNASUR) might help the dialogue. Personally I think if the government was able to open the space of the Presidential Palace to the opposition at least they are conscious that some of their policies should change. Although it is too soon to make conclusions.

This is some information about the dialogue yesterday:

-http://www.eluniversal.com/english/

Cheers to everyone!

Cristiano Gianolla
    Participant

Desr Elizabeth,

Thanks you for your post.

I believe in Dialogue and I believe that it may be obstructed by political will. When this happen people are kept away from truth. I wish Venezuela a bright future…

Cristiano

Elizabeth Forasacco
    Participant
    In the end that was not a real dialogue, they were just fighting and I don't think there is much will specially from the governmental side because they are the ones in power… but let's see… how we say in Venezuela: hope is the last thing you loose.

Today the Venezuelan Parliamentarian, Maria Corina Machado (opposition representative) intervened before the European Parliament in the Commission on Foreign Affairs, she exposed the current situation of Venezuela and she declared the government is a dictatorship, she is trying to get international support. I am sorry but I didn't find the translation of her intervention: 

Diego Naranjo
    Participant

Thanks for this information. However I think that some of the news are a bit shocking, such as describing Venezuela as a dictatorship. It is indeed a strange dictatorship where so many fair elections and referendums have taken place. I wish we had that type of "dictatorship" in many European countries. It is also a bit suprising that there were not so many opposition marches before the Bolivarian movement came to power, where the national resources were in foreign hands and analphabetism was the norm. Furthermore, the fact that people like Oliver Stone, Noam Chomsky and John Pilger have showed support to the Government in previous occassions is also to be taken into consideration within this discussion.

Needless to say I don't think the Government is doing everything perfectly, but it seems that it has taken steps forwards for the majority of the society (this is, the poor and the working class) that no previous Venezuelan administration had done in the previous decades when, again, the "opposition" was either inexistent , or in line to the regime, or maybe ignored by the mainstream media because the Venezuelan government was doing things as the main power structures (IMF, World Bank) wished.

In any case, I also wish a peaceful way out from this situation and that no coup d'etat occurrs against a legitimate Government. I am looking forward to more information about it.

Thanks again and all the best for all of you in Venezuela.

Diego

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.